Cruising around the water with your boat is always something fun. However, there are some boat conditions that can hinder the fun part.
One of the most frustrating problems that hinder the overall boat experience is slippery decks. Being unable to walk on the boat properly is really a headache! However, there are existing solutions for this problem.
So, how to replace boat carpet with non-skid?
Firstly, you can apply truck bed liners on the boat deck. You can increase deck grip by this method. Secondly, you may try to install new carpets on the boat. New carpets will eliminate the slippery situation in no time. Finally, you can change the boat flooring type to woven vinyl.
Utilizing any of this information is risky on its own. Go through the entire article to be more confident and find in-depth guidelines!
Alternatives Non-Skid Options for Boat Carpet
The slippery deck situation can be overwhelming at times. This problem is common in many boats; it’s even a renowned problem of the Stratos boat.
But hey, here is the good news. You can rely on many methods to fix it! There are multiple solutions regarding the skidding boat deck.
To help you, I have mentioned the easy and effective ones here in this article. Along with that, I have given step-by-step guidelines and procedures. So without further ado, get right into it!
Option 1: Use Truck Bed Liner
By reading the title of this method, you might think that it is absurd. Yet, it is quite effective. Putting truck bed liners on your boat can actually work like a charm! The surface of the boat deck will be more grippy.
There are a few options for the truck bed liner itself. You can get smooth liners and textured liners. Most pickup trucks have textured liners. They are also really easy to clean. Using a high-pressure hose will be enough to get all the dirt off!
Applying the bed liners on the boat is easy. I have given the steps below. Follow them by sequence to see results!
Here are the steps to using a truck bed liner on your boat-
- Firstly, you have to do some measurements. The truck bed liners need to be put in gaps. It is advised to keep a 1-2 inches gap between every line.
- Secondly, put tape on the marks. You can use regular duct tape for this step. Make sure the tape is not wrinkled or damaged. That way, you can preserve the smoothness of the bed liners.
- Thirdly, take some brushes and some bed liner. Normal paintbrushes will do this job.
When picking the bed liner, make sure it is the same color as your boat. Take a wooden stick and stir up the bed liner.
- Finally, start applying the bed liner. Apply the bed liner over the taped sections. The gap in the bed liners will in turn increase the grip even more. Apply 1-2 coats and let it dry fully.
These are the steps by which you can apply the bed liners to your boat! The bed liners really make good non-slip boat flooring.
Option 2: Install a New Carpet
Among the methods, this is probably the most anticipated and common method. Simply replacing the carpets on your boat can actually increase the grip.
Additionally, it becomes more comfortable to walk on. Now, when choosing carpets, you cannot use regular carpets for this. The best choice would be marine-grade carpets for the boat.
High-quality marine-grade carpets should be the only option for this method. The carpet you will be applying or replacing should offer many resistance properties. For instance, UV, mildew, stain, rot, fading, etc resistance.
Applying marine-grade carpets to your boat is a simple task. I have included the procedure for it down below. Check it out!
Here are the steps for applying marine-grade carpets to your boat-
- Firstly, gather some equipment. Gather some plywood deck pieces, scissors, marine-grade carpet, heavy-duty staples, prybar, and screws.
You will need all this equipment to successfully replace carpet in boat cabin.
- Then, start by removing the deck pieces of your board. You can use a prybar to pry the deck pieces out.
- After that, take the plywood pieces and place them under the rolled-out carpet.
- Then, draw a chalk line around the wood. The perimeter should be kept 3-4 inches because we will need that space for the last step.
- Afterward, cut the marine-grade carpet using a scissor. Take measurements of the spaces and cut accordingly.
- After the cutting is done, you have to glue the pieces on the deck. Take some marine carpet glue and apply it to the deck. Follow proper instructions while applying the glue.
If you are looking for quality marine carpet glue, here are some top-tier suggestions for you-
By using any of the glues above, you can ensure maximum adhesive strength. Additionally, these glues are known for sticking for long periods of time.
- Then, stretch the carpet cutting to the edges. Make sure there is at least some glue under them. While stretching, do not apply too much pressure.
If the tensile strength’s too high, reducing the boat’s prop slip can rip the carpet out. That is why you should apply adequate pressure and avoid creating wrinkles.
- Finally, staple the carpet edges to the back of the deck. Don’t staple too deep; it should be less than the deck width. After stapling, secure the deck with screws at the back.
These are the steps to replacing the carpet of your favorite boat! The process is very simple to follow.
Option 3: Snap-In Woven Vinyl Boat Flooring
This method can add to the aesthetics of your boat as well. Adding woven vinyl flooring to your boat will completely change and upgrade its appearance!
Woven vinyl flooring provides a decent non-skid replacement for carpets. Although this option consists of some hard work, it definitely pays off. In fact, it is considered to be one of the best fishing boat flooring ideas.
I’ve mentioned all the necessary information and steps to add woven vinyl flooring to the boat. Give it a good read.
Here are the steps for woven vinyl flooring for your boat-
- To start off, create the flooring of the boat in 2 large pieces. Glue them together using vinyl cement.
- Then, test fit the infinity flooring and secure it by snapping them around the edge perimeter. They will stay put that way. If you have multiple flooring pieces, consider adding binding to them.
- After that, carefully lay out the patterning material. This material will ultimately define the detail when the work’s done.
It’ll be a bit easier if you’re hemming the material like Chilewich. However, the infinity will be a bit harder to separate from the backing.
- Finally, use a vacuum cleaner to clean out any leftover particles. Additionally, you have to vacuum regularly to keep the fabric clean.
If you’re looking for a snap-in boat carpet replacement, the woven vinyl can be perfect!
What is marine grade carpet?
Marine grade carpets are specifically designed and manufactured for boats. Boat carpets need to be different than regular carpets. There are requirements like longevity and quick dry time! That is where marine-grade carpets are useful. These feature modern materials that satisfy these conditions.
What kind of plywood do I need to renovate the boat?
You can use marine plywood for renovating boats. Regular plywood may make your boat prone to many damages; especially water damage. Yet, marine plywoods eliminate that part. You can use hand saws and other tools to cut marine plywoods and rebuild the boat interior! Go for the best marine plywoods.
How do you fix a soft floor in a boat?
Fixing a soft floor in a boat requires some sanding and some repairing. Most of the time, this problem is due to fiberglass weakening. In such cases, sand the area until the soft spot is visible. Then, sand the soft spot till it is lower than the area surrounding it. Create a cavity and fill it up with wood.
The Final Words
This is the final reach of this article. Hopefully, now you know how to replace boat carpet with non-skid.
A good tip would be to put on non-skid shoes while on a boat. That’ll totally eliminate the chances of anyone slipping on the deck!
Have fun on the boat voyage!